El Aeropuerto Internacional O'Hare ((IATA: ORD), ICAO: KORD) también conocido simplemente como Aeropuerto O'Hare u O'Hare.
This is no Changi, no Kansai; in other words, it's nobody's favorite airport. O'Hare is huge, but it's from an era before airports had much in the way of amenities, and it's been stretched beyond capacity for a while now. Although safety has never been a concern, O'Hare has one of the worst on-time records of any major airport. However, most of the world's airlines fly though O'Hare, so international travelers and those making transfers aren't likely to have much of a choice. Those travelling to the area can use Chicago's Midway or Milwaukee's General Mitchell International (connected to the Loop via the Amtrak Hiawatha train service). Alternatively, travelers may consider the Airport Express operated by Coach USA/Wisconsin Coach Lines, connecting General Mitchell International, the Milwaukee Intermodal Station and points in-between.
Passengers may walk between Terminals 1, 2, and 3 both land-side (prior to clearing security) and air-side. The distance can be considerable; make sure to allow adequate time for layovers between different terminals. United Airlines also runs an air-side shuttle bus between Gate E2A in Terminal 2 and Gate C9 in Terminal 1.
Airport Transit System[editar]
O'Hare has an automated, land-side, transit system cleverly called Airport Transit System or ATS. Stops are made at all four terminals as well as at remote parking lot E. This is the only way to reach the three domestic terminals and the Blue Line station from the international terminal, which means that passengers connecting to or from a Terminal 5 flight should allow abundant time for border formalities, inter-terminal transit, and a second security screening. There is no charge for the use of the ATS.
- Chicago Historical Society Gift Shop, 8AM-9PM daily, has a better class of Chicago Souvenir than most. They're in Terminal 3.
- Field Museum Store, daily 8AM-8PM, takes the gift shop from the great museum to Terminal 1.
- Hudson's Booksellers, daily 7AM-9:30PM, has a reasonable selection of books in Terminals 1, 2, and 3.
For passengers departing on international flights there are some somewhat limited duty free shopping possibilities:
- Liberty Duty Free, Terminal 1 Gate B9; Terminal 1 Gate C17; Terminal 2 Gate F1; Terminal 3 Gate K5. Four shops selling alcohol, perfume and tobacco.
- Dufry, Terminal 5, Concourse M. ☎ +1 773 686-0726. Three kiosks, by gates M8, M10 y M14.
O'Hare has plenty of places to eat, most of which won't provide you with an experience beyond keeping you alive through your upcoming flight. You'll pay more than you should for meals you won't remember anything about, save for the grease. There are a few, though, that stand out enough to be worth hunting down, namely The Berghoff and Tortas Frontera, which are good enough to make a delayed flight seem like a good opportunity.
- Garrett's Popcorn, Terminal 1 B and Terminal 3 H. Oprah's taste in popcorn perhaps exceeds even her taste in books, and her favorite Chicago popcorn shop has two locations in the airport. Drench those little guys in caramel, cheese, etc., and toss in some macadamias, cashews, and almonds, and you have yourself a meal. 🕓 6AM-10PM. Precio: S/M/L $3-5-7.
- Gold Coast Dogs, 6AM-8PM, serves airport versions of Chicago-style hot dogs in Terminal 3. It would be a crime against taste if this was your only encounter with a Chicago-style hot dog, with Superdawg only a short distance away on the Far Northwest Side!
- McDonald's, 5AM-11PM, has its greasy claws in all four terminals and is notable mainly for being open later than anyone else.
- Nuts on Clark. 6AM-10PM in Terminals 1, 2, and 3, has tasty popcorn & nuts for a takeaway salty fix.
- Sky Bridge, 5AM-9PM daily, is run by Greeks and serves gyros, kebabs, and some other Greek fare along with the basic burger and dog. A step up for the usual fast food joint, most meats here aren't cooked until you order. The omelets are good, the hash browns greasy. Terminal 2, near F7.
- Berghoff Café. 5:30AM-9:30PM, lives on in Terminal 1 C26, outlasting the original nineteenth century location in the Loop. Bratwurst loyalists will have to take the classic German food wherever they can get it! Of course, you'd miss this, thinking it was just another shoddy airport sandwich shop, but for the lines. The Berghoffés beer or root beer goes just right with a signature Berghoff reuben. $8-12.
- Billy Goat Tavern & Grill, 6AM-9:30PM, serves beer, steaks, and cheeseburgers in Terminal 1. For the sake of any locals who might be around, travelers should take it as a given that everyone has already heard their John Belushi impression, thanks.
- Chili's, 5:30AM-9PM, serves a limited version of their burgers-and-pasta menu in Terminals 1, 2, and 3.
- Johnny Rockets, 6AM-9:30PM, airport version of the retro-diner/soda fountain hamburger chain in Terminal 2. Mixed reviews compared to a real standalone JR, but it's a change of pace from a fast-food burger.
- Pizzeria UNO, 5:15AM-9:30PM, slums it in Terminals 1, 2, and 5, pushing watery versions of Chicago's hallmark deep dish pizza, while Reggio's does the same in Terminals 1 and 3.
- Tortas Frontera. Rick Bayless of the very highly acclaimed Frontera Grill & Topolobampo downtown has just recently opened what is almost certainly the only airport sandwich shop that lists the local farms from which it gets its produce and meat! The tortas (Mexican sandwiches) are of a high enough quality to land this place in top ten lists of the best airport restaurants worldwide, and it's just a sandwich shop! The Bloody Marys are there waiting for you in the morning after an overnight. Locations at Terminal 1 B10 and Terminal 3 K3, open roughly from 6AM-9:30PM, depending on the day's flight schedules. Precio: $8-14.
- Romano's Macaroni Grill, 8AM-8PM, Terminal 3 gate K3, has entrées priced mostly in the $10-$16 range, topping out at $28 for high-end steak meals. Food is of good quality, comparable to the standalone Macaroni Grill restaurants, though is a little more oily than standard Italian fare.
- Wolfgang Puck, 5AM-10PM, in Terminals 1 and 3 has an extremely limited menu to compensate for demand and limited preparation space. It's overpriced and not tasty enough to justify the price, but if you're on an expense account, go for it.
Tradúzcase There are a few options for booze in O'Hare. Some restaurants, including Billy Goat and The Berghoff, also have liquor licenses. As with food, options are more limited in the international terminal.
- Goose Island Brewing Company, 8AM-8PM daily, in Terminal 3.
- Prairie Tap, 6AM-10PM daily, in Terminal 3.
Many hotels serving O'Hare are actually located in the nearby suburbs of Schiller Park, Elk Grove Village, Mount Prospect, Des Plaines, and most of all in Rosemont. Amenities are fairly standard, with an eye toward business travelers. The area's upscale hotels are all located in Rosemont, with the lone exception of the Hilton at the airport itself:
- Chicago Hilton O'Hare (Terminal 2 (close to the CTA Blue Line)). ☎ +1 773 686-8000. More than 850 rooms and sound-resistant windows. Precio: Habitaciones desde $299.
All hotels run shuttles to and from the airport. Some run on a schedule and do regular pick-ups, while others have to be called from the airport concierge. Shuttle stops are clearly sign-posted. Make sure the shuttle is going to your specific hotel — Marriott, for example, runs separate shuttles for each of its brands. A taxi should cost $10-15 at the most.
O'Hare is well known for weather issues that cause flights to be canceled, particularly in the winter and summer months. If you get stuck at O'Hare and need a hotel room for the night there is a service, Airport Accommodations, that provides discounted rates at full service hotels in the airport area that provide free shuttle service. Call their 24/7 customer service center at ☎ +1 800 935-5995 and they will help you find a room in the airport area. They do not charge for their services.
If you're driving to a hotel, get on I-190, the small expressway that operates to/from the airport. Most hotels are clustered on Mannheim Road or River Road, which have exits from the expressway, or off roads that connect with Mannheim going north (Higgins, Touhy) or south (Irving Park). I-190 merges with I-90/94, which heads to the center of Chicago.
Cheap hotels near O'Hare tend to be cheap for a reason — don't be shy about asking to see the room first.
- Comfort Inn O'Hare (Des Plaines), 2175 E Touhy Ave, Des Plaines. ☎ +1 847 635-1300. About two miles from the airport. Precio: Habitaciones desde $90.
- Country Inn and Suites Chicago O'Hare NW (Mount Prospect), 2200 South Elmhurst Road, Mount Prospect. ☎ +1 847 290-0909. About 6 miles from the airport. Precio: Habitaciones desde $79.
- Quality Inn O'Hare Airport, 3801 N Mannheim Rd, Schiller Park. ☎ +1 847 678-0670. About two miles from the airport. Precio: Habitaciones desde $60.
- Quality Inn & Suites, 100 Busse Rd, Elk Grove Village. ☎ +1 847 593-8600. About five miles from the airport. Precio: Habitaciones desde $85.
- Aloft O'Hare, 9700 Balmoral Avenue, Rosemont. ☎ +1 847 671-4444. Newer budget-minded imprint of the W. Styled to be young and trendy, the hotel actually offers a ton of the same great amenities of the pricier Starwood properties. Swanky bar, cool design, and great entertainment set-up in each room. Precio: Habitaciones desde $89.
- Best Western At O'Hare, 10300 W Higgins Rd, Rosemont. ☎ +1 847 296-4471. The rooms are a little dingy and the internet was spotty at last check, but it's not bad. Has a sports bar and a diner on-site. Precio: Habitaciones desde $130.
- Comfort Suites O'Hare (Schiller Park), 4200 N River Rd, Schiller Park. ☎ +1 847 233-9000. Big hotel with a sports bar and grill on-site. Precio: Habitaciones desde $120.
- Embassy Suites Chicago O'Hare/Rosemont, 5500 N River Rd, Rosemont. ☎ +1 847 678-4000. About one mile from the airport. Precio: Habitaciones tan bajo como $119, but reservations can be difficult to get.
- Four Points by Sheraton, 10249 W Irving Park Rd, Schiller Park. ☎ +1 800 323-1239. Lounge, restaurant, pool, and the rest. For travelers who like to cut it close, shuttles run to O'Hare every 20 minutes, 24 hours per day. Precio: Habitaciones desde $155.
- Hampton Inn Chicago O'Hare Airport Hotel, 3939 N Mannheim Rd, Schiller Park. ☎ +1 847 671-1700. About 1.5 miles from the airport. Precio: Habitaciones desde $146.
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites, 6600 N Mannheim Rd, Rosemont. ☎ +1 847 544-7500. About five miles from the airport. Precio: Habitaciones desde $163.
- Hyatt Regency O'Hare, 9300 W Bryn Mawr Ave. ☎ +1 847 696 1234. Contemporary facility with newly renovated guest rooms and meeting space. Precio: Habitaciones desde $159.
- Radisson Hotel Chicago O'Hare, 1450 E Touhy Ave, Des Plaines. ☎ +1 847 296-8866. About 1.5 miles from the airport. Precio: Habitaciones desde $169.
- Residence Inn Chicago O'Hare, 7101 Chestnut St, Rosemont. ☎ +1 847 375-9000. Home-y hotel with separate kitchens. Precio: Habitaciones desde $149.
- Renaissance Chicago O'Hare Suites Hotel, 8500 W Bryn Mawr Ave. ☎ +1 773 380-9600. Indoor swimming pool. Free 24-hour shuttle service to O'Hare Airport, located by the L stop. Precio: Habitaciones desde $179.
- Sheraton Suites Elk Grove Village, 121 Northwest Point Blvd, Elk Grove Village. ☎ +1 847 290-1600. 253 suites with separate living rooms and bedrooms. Precio: Habitaciones desde $159.
If you're going to spend a lot of money on a hotel and you plan to be in town for more than one night, you'll have a much better time in downtown Chicago. That said, these hotels are big and do a lot of business.
- Chicago Marriott Suites O'Hare, 6155 N River Rd, Rosemont. ☎ +1 847 696-4400, teléfono gratuito: +1 866 614-8410. Just five minutes from the airport. Precio: Habitaciones desde $269.
- Crowne Plaza Hotel, 5440 N River Rd, Rosemont. ☎ +1 847 671-6350. Giant hotel about 1.5 miles from the airport, with copious meeting space. Precio: Habitaciones desde $188.
- Doubletree Hotel Chicago O'Hare, 5460 N River Rd, Rosemont. ☎ +1 847 292-9100. About five minutes from the airport. Precio: Habitaciones desde $239.
- Holiday Inn Select, 10233 West Higgins Rd, Rosemont. ☎ +1 847 954-8600. One mile from the airport, this hotel has won the Torch Bearer award for excellent customer service and quality two years in a row. Precio: Habitaciones desde $95.
- Sheraton Gateway Suites Chicago O'Hare, 6501 N Mannheim Rd, Rosemont. ☎ +1 847 699-6300. Close to O'Hare and the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center in Rosemont. Precio: Habitaciones desde $239.
- The Westin O'Hare, 6100 N River Rd, Rosemont. ☎ +1 847 698-6000. Más de 500 bonitas habitaciones con una larga lista de comodidades. Precio: Habitaciones desde $329.
- There are three family/companion restrooms in Terminal 2, and one in Terminal 3.
- Interfaith Chapel, Terminal 2. ☎ +1 773 686-2636. If flight delays are making you question your faith, then head right over. There are chaplains for Catholics, Protestants, and Muslims during office hours, M-F 8AM-2:30PM. 🕓 La capilla está abierta las 24 horas.
- Travelers and Immigrants Aid, Terminal 2, upper level. ☎ +1 773 894-2427. Proporciona información, direcciones y la asistencia a los viajeros. También hay puestos de información en las tres terminales con personal de 10am - 7pm de Lunes a viernes y los domingos de 3-7Pm. 🕓 Lun-Vie 8:30-9PM, Sab-Dom 10AM-9PM.
- UIC Medical Center, Terminal 2. ☎ +1 773 894-5100. Operado por la Universidad de Illinois en Chicago. Pueden proporcionar tratamiento de emergencia / atención de urgencia, rayos X, las inmunizaciones y otros servicios. 🕓 Lun-Vie 7AM-7PM, Sab-Dom 9AM-5PM.
- If you just can't wait, there are HeartSave defibrillators (+1 773 462-7283) in all four terminals, intended to be within a minute's reach from any point in the airport.
- The U.S.O. has a center in front of security for active, reserve, and retired military personnel in Terminal 2, above the Delta Ticket Counter, on the Mezzanine level (Open 24 hours) For more information call +1 773-686-7396. Navy recruits reporting to Recruit Training Command go here.